Watertown Daily Times | ‘Bath Crashers’ host on tiles, countertops and more

ARTICLE OPTIONS

DIY Network expert and licensed contractor Matt Muenster joined Post staff writer Jura Koncius for an online chat. On DIY Network’s “Bath Crashers” and “BATHtastic!,” Muenster transforms boring bathrooms into fantastic ones. Here is an edited excerpt.

What color bathrooms are trending?

Neutral cool gray is my color of choice. I try to create calming spaces in the bathroom, and an attack of color isn’t really the best way to do that. Plus, a neutral color for the walls lets the material selections stand out. I’d rather see my tile pop than my $30 bucket of paint.

I’m choosing between laminate and concrete counters. Which would be the better choice?

Concrete ... But if you can afford concrete, you can afford almost anything available for countertops. I’d recommend quartz.

What about chrome or nickel for countertops?

Shiny or brushed. That’s the answer. Personal preference breaks the tie. I think chrome is a bit more timeless, but brushed nickel is a little warmer and hides water spots and fingerprints better.

Are there any tile types that I should not use in a shower stall because of durability concerns, such as marble?

I’m not a big fan of marble in the shower, especially Carrara marble, as it’s easy to stain. Travertine is tough, too; it’s likely to be pitted and hard to keep those areas clean. Stick to ceramic or porcelain.

I love wall-mounted faucets, but I’m worried they are a trend that will pass. Any thoughts?

I love them, too, but it’s really a personal preference. They are more difficult to install and give you limited access if they ever experience any failure. I install them only when they solve an issue, such as shallow countertop depth or deep vessel sinks.

Should I tile the ceiling of a shower stall?

You certainly can, but if it’s not a steam shower, it’s not required.

Should tile on shower walls go right up to the ceiling, or should there be about a foot of space between the wall tile and the ceiling?

I see no reason to stop the tile short of the ceiling.

My husband and I are hoping to renovate our original 1936 bathroom. I have two questions: Is it reasonable to consider demolishing the old bathroom ourselves? We’d like to get rid of the shower-tub combo and just have a walk-in shower. Would this hurt our resale value? The house wouldn’t have a tub if we get rid of this one.

Demo is completely a DIY-friendly thing — just make sure you know where pipes are behind the walls. You can cost yourself a lot of money by making a mistake during demo. As for the tub, my rule is there needs to be at least one tub in the house. If not, I think you’ll be doing yourself a resale disservice.

I live in a home built in 1932, and one of my bathrooms has the original tile floor. Is it true that you can tile on top of the old floor, or is it structurally better to demo the old floor and lay new tile?

Never tile over an existing anything. You need to tile over the proper tile backing, or you’re asking for failure. Demo out the old floor and assess the situation. Then install proper tile backing and take your time. Since it’s a 1932 house, it won’t be perfectly flat or prepped. The tile demo will probably be quite an adventure.

A friend offered me a claw-foot tub in perfect condition. I’ve always wanted one. But I would have to remove my current tub, which butts up against walls on three sides in a small bathroom. How realistic of a DIY project is this?

Claw-foots are beautiful but are meant to be free-standing. You have an alcove tub that will need to be completely demoed to be removed. Then it’s a question of whether the tub fits in the same alcove and if you can get a tub filler to work. It’s a lot of work, not a DIY project. This one is for a pro.

Is it possible to relocate a sink to an opposite wall so that it shares water and drain lines with an existing tub?

Not quite that simple. It will require a rework and will also need to be vented. Moving plumbing around in your bathroom is the single largest expense you’ll find in your renovation. If it’s a huge nuisance, bite the bullet and move it. If not, try to find a way to make it work where it is.

The “fork” ratings are based primarily on food quality and preparation, with service and atmosphere factored into the final decision. Reviews are based on one unsolicited, unannounced visit to the restaurant.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Human trafficking expected during solar eclipse; ‘Freedom Stickers’ with hotline info are available for public restrooms

12 FOUR CORNERS BLVD, East Fishkill NY 12533, MLS # 364540, Weichert.com

Is It Safe To Masturbate Using The Bath Faucet?