Langsung ke konten utama

The 17 purchases we’re most glad we made for our first apartment


The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.

white hardcore overhead_1024x1024_20514aff 361b 454c 994c 3bf535c2ea3b_900xBrooklinen

Moving is a stressful experience no matter how you slice it, and taking on the job of finding and outfitting your first apartment as an adult is even more so.

Your first apartment is a perfect storm: an intersection of many needs and low resources. Chances are high that your college roommate might have bought the kitchen utensils... or the vacuum... or the pots and pans...  and now you’re trying to furnish an entire apartment on your own with less money than it seems the job will demand.

The few purchases you do make will need to last you longer than the cheap, seasonal models you bought in college so you’re not in the same spot, dumping more money into a dresser next year. You’ll likely want nicer belongings than plastic storage bins for all of your clothes as an adult now, anyway.

Since it's unlikely you have a carte blanche at West Elm, the purchases you do make are best when backed up by the advice of people who’ve been there before and can help you choose wisely. While I went through my post-graduation apartment search recently, I decided to make use of an incredible resource and survey my colleagues on their most valuable first apartment purchases. We spend around 40 hours a week thinking of ways to optimize peoples' lives with valuable products, so the purchases we make for our own homes carry special significance for me.

Below, you'll find the 17 things the Insider Picks team is most glad we bought for our first apartment.

View As: One Page Slides


Breton Fischetti, senior director of commerce: Brooklinen sheets

Breton Fischetti, senior director of commerce: <a href=Brooklinen sheets" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
Brooklinen

This pick is one that I did with a bit of hindsight, but I lived in a four-bedroom apartment, so my bedroom was the only bit of space in the apartment that was truly mine.

I really enjoyed having a good set of sheets. Once I got them it really made a difference in making the place feel more grownup and put together compared to whatever sheets I had leftover from high school/college. I recently bought a set of Brooklinen sheets and they are a great option. It's definitely a stretch of a purchase for a first apartment, but you use sheets every day so it's worthwhile. 

Brooklinen Luxe Hardcore Sheet Bundle (Queen), $228

A mirror to open up a small room

A mirror to open up a small room
Amazon

A first apartment or home is probably going to be smaller, and the easiest way to make a small space feel bigger is with a good mirror. It reflects light and adds depth to any room.

Umbra Mira Wall Mirror, $80

Ellen Hoffman, commerce editor: OXO Mixing Bowl and Colander Set

Ellen Hoffman, commerce editor: <a href=OXO Mixing Bowl and Colander Set" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
Target

I bought this set of mixing bowls and colanders when I moved into my first apartment, and years later it’s up there with my tea kettle and cow mugfor most-used items in my kitchen.

The set includes three mixing bowls and three colanders in various sizes with a space-saving, nesting design. So simple, but so practical for anyone who cooks at home a lot.  

OXO Good Grips Nesting Bowls and Colanders Set, $49.99

Le Creuset Whistling Tea Kettle

<a href=Le Creuset Whistling Tea Kettle" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
Le Creuset

This is something my mom got me when I moved into my first apartment after college, and I still use it every day — sometimes multiple times a day. As a result of having such a good experience with the tea kettle, I’ve since bought other Le Creuset pieces (this cast iron Dutch oven and skillet) as I’ve had the extra money to spend rounding out and upgrading my kitchen. 

Le Creuset Whistling Tea Kettle, 1.8-Qt., $100

Velvet hangers

Velvet hangers
Amazon

I ditched all the plastic and wire hangers I had almost immediately after graduating college. Having a matching set of hangers goes a long way toward elevating the overall look of your closet and keeping everything organized…and actually ON a hanger. It’s a super cheap upgrade to make right off the bat.

AmazonBasics Velvet Suit Hangers (50 Pack), $22.99

A nice area rug

A nice area rug
West Elm

I wasn’t able to afford a lot of nice things for my first apartment. I had to be very discerning about the more expensive purchases I made. A nice area rug was one that made the cut. 

A nice area rug can instantly pull a living room or bedroom together, and it’s something you should have for many years to come as long as you take care of it. I got my first nice rug from CB2 and it moved with me this past March to my new place. I rent a vacuum cleaner from Home Depot every year or so to keep it looking its best. 

Similar: West Elm Arrow Channels Shag Dhurrie Rug (5'x8'), $399

Malarie Gokey, guides editor: a makeup organizer

Malarie Gokey, guides editor: a <a href=makeup organizer" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
Amazon

When you have a small apartment, cabinet space is hard to come by. After years of using mugs and other random containers to organize all my lotions, makeup, brushes, and so on; I finally caved and bought a makeup organizer that's small enough to fit in my bathroom cabinet. It organizes all my stuff so that it takes up less space than before and it makes finding what I need easier — especially when I'm bleary-eyed in the morning. 

MelodySusie Acrylic Jewelry and Cosmetic Storage Organizer, $29.99

Candlestick holders

Candlestick holders
Etsy

My grandmother was from Sweden, and she always had a thing for candles. It turns out that loving candlelight isn't just a Swedish tradition, it's a family tradition. After scouring antique shops for a solid brass candlestick holder, I finally found a lovely one and bought it. Now, I light candles every night at dinner. It's amazing how therapeutic, romantic, and relaxing candlelight is after a long day.

Refinement House Brass Candle Holders, $12

Brandt Ranj, associate commerce editor: A surge protector

If you've taken the time to accumulate some nice electronics, do yourself a favor and plug them into a surge protector. Apartments and outlets vary in quality, and one wrong move could leave your computer, TV, or game console totally fried. It's happened to me before, and it's not fun. The first thing I did when I moved into my new place was plug in two of Belkin's surge protectors, and I haven't had any trouble since.

Kelsey Mulvey, commerce reporter: Lightweight, linen curtains

Kelsey Mulvey, commerce reporter: Lightweight, <a href=linen curtains" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
West Elm

There are some things everyone should add to their decor wish list, like these linen curtains from West Elm. The lightweight linen makes my studio look larger and lets just the right amount of sunlight through, but still gives me and my home some privacy. I bought them nearly three years ago and still love them.

West Elm Sheer Linen Curtain, $34.99-$68.99

A scarecrow

A scarecrow
Amazon

There's a reason I still live in my first apartment. My studio has tons of closet space, is close to several subway lines, and even has a small balcony of its own. The one thing I can't stand about my apartment? The uninvited pigeons that perch on my balcony. I bought an owl scarecrow about a year ago and am pleased to report my balcony has been pigeon-free ever since. Thanks to thebobblehead design, its lifelike movements are supposed to scare any unwanted critters away.

Make no mistake this scarecrow occasionally gives me the creeps, but if you have outdoor space, I'd highly recommend picking up one.

Gardeneer by Dalen Natural Enemy Scarecrow Rotating Head Owl, $21.83

Tyler Lauletta, commerce reporter: A framing service

Tyler Lauletta, commerce reporter: A framing service
Framebridge

When moving into your first apartment, one of the most adult moves you can make is to frame your posters. Ideally, by this point you are past your Bob Marley and Reservoir Dogs phase, but if you have a poster you love and would like to display, send it to Framebridge and turn it into an art piece worthy of your new abode.

If you are having trouble decorating your place, Framebridge can take photos straight from your Instagram account and turn them into hangable art. It’s a simple solution to making your apartment a little more your own, and a tip I wish I had had when I moved into my first apartment.

Get started with Framebridge here

Mara Leighton, commerce intern: A necklace holder

Mara Leighton, commerce intern: A <a href=necklace holder" class="slide-image-large on-image" style="border: 0px;" />
Etsy

I own a lot of necklaces and other jewelry, but I find myself perpetually wearing the same ones by default. I keep every one that I own arranged on a decorative plate, but that has made them easy to ignore and options hard to visualize. Since the purpose of jewelry is to wear it, I’ve recently invested in a necklace holder that helps me see what I'm working with and can double as a shelf for my perfumes and a nice succulent plant, too. 

The Knotted Wood Wall Necklace Holder, $45

The Sonos Play:1

The Sonos Play:1
Sonos

I like to fall asleep with music, but I don’t want to ruin my hearing with earbuds or have them fall out and miss my phone alarm in the morning. In college, missing class every once in awhile is fine, but missing work is not. 

The Play:1 is a great, multi-use speaker that customizes its sound to the dimensions of the room you set it in, and it also functions as a way more effective alarm than my phone. I listen to music on it with a sleep timer at night and bring it to the living room whenever I plan to have guests over. It’s not so expensive where quality speakers are concerned, and it’s small enough to fit basically anywhere. This was a great value buy for me. If you'd like to know more, you can read my full review here.

Sonos Play:1 Wireless Smart Speaker, $199

A shoe organizer

A shoe organizer
Amazon

Just by virtue of living in a city that has four temperamental seasons, I definitely own too many shoes. They're usually the hardest item to find a convenient spot for in my room, no matter where I live. Horizontal organizers take up space I don’t have, and having them sitting outside my closet makes my room feel unfinished to me. This over-the-door shoe rack has been a lifesaver since I can declutter my room and see all my options at once. Plus, this shoe rack doesn't utilize pockets like other options, so even my heels and boots can fit.

Whitmor Over-The-Door Shoe Rack, 36-Pair, $23.72

A writing desk

A writing desk
Amazon

When I’m working at home for the day or want to begin something creative, I need a spot that takes me out of my comfort zone more than laying in my bed can. For this reason, I like to keep a hard-backed chair and a writing desk in my room so I don't need to go too far in order to concentrate. 

I don’t have much room to give, but little personal desks are inexpensive and get the job done. There are even less expensive options out there, but my room is the only space that’s truly mine in a shared apartment, so I’m willing to spend a little more on the things I need to feel truly at home there.

Alaterre Shaker Cottage Writing Desk with Drawer, $176.78

An inexpensive cooking essentials kit

An inexpensive cooking essentials kit
Amazon

I spoke from experience when I said that your roommates may have gotten the utensils, and now you’re stuck trying to furnish a home with the good luxuries like nice sheets and well as the less glamorous necessities like spoons and forks. This was an easy (and thankfully cheap) way to kill a bunch of birds with one stone.

Wahilulu Premium Kitchen Utensils Set, $28.98

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Human trafficking expected during solar eclipse; ‘Freedom Stickers’ with hotline info are available for public restrooms

12 FOUR CORNERS BLVD, East Fishkill NY 12533, MLS # 364540, Weichert.com

Is It Safe To Masturbate Using The Bath Faucet?